Weisner on experience overseas: “awesome” - The Daily Barometer: Sports

Monday, April 20, 2015

Weisner on experience overseas: “awesome”

Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:01 pm | Updated: 2:36 pm, Wed Sep 18, 2013.

OSU’s star sophomore guard is back in Corvallis after a superb showing at U19 World Championship

Jamie Weisner flew out of Lithuania around 11:30 p.m. Sunday night, local time. Following three layovers and roughly 32 hours either at an airport or in the air, she arrived at Portland International Airport Monday night.

By the time she pulled into Corvallis around 11:30 p.m., she claimed not to have slept in two days.

The next morning, she was up before 6 a.m.

The Oregon State women’s basketball team had weights.

“I don’t know how I got up for it, but I woke up right away,” Weisner said. “I was excited to be back with my team.”

And the Beavers are surely glad to have last year’s leading scorer back. Especially after the show she put on overseas.

Weisner, 18, spent the past few weeks playing for the Canadian Junior Women’s National Team at the 2013 FIBA U19 World Championship for Women in Lithuania.

Representing your country — Weisner, a Clarkston, Wash. native, is a dual citizen — is an accomplishment in itself. But over the course of the 11-day tournament, Weisner did more than just represent.

There was her 33-point, 10-rebound performance in Canada’s tournament opening win over Netherlands, in which Weisner shot 82.4 percent (14-of-17) from the field.

There was a second double-double (20 points, 16 rebounds) against Japan, and her 30-point outburst against Brazil in Canada’s final game of the tournament.

All told, Weisner finished the tournament third in scoring (17 PPG) and helped Canada finish seventh with a 4-5 record.

“It was awesome,” Weisner said Tuesday, still a bit weary from the 10-hour time change.

As a freshman last season, Weisner led the Beavers in scoring (12.5 PPG) and rebounding (5.9 RPG) en route to earning a spot on the Pac-12 All-Freshman Team.

While she didn’t pinpoint any aspects of her game that improved in particular overseas, she said the experience helped her grow as a leader.

“Being on this team, I was one of the older girls, so I was like the leader of the team,” Weisner said. “That was different. I’ve never had to be that girl before. That’ll definitely help me.”

The biggest difference between international and collegiate ball, she said, was the physicality of the game and the 24-second shot clock. And that she couldn’t understand what other teams’ players were saying to one another on the court.

“Basketball-wise, the best experience was just playing against teams from all around the world,” Weisner said. “Each country plays a different way.”

Canada defeated Netherlands, Lithuania and Japan, and lost to France, China, the United States, Spain and Brazil. They played eight games in 11 days — Senegal, their first opponent, forfeited — only getting a day off in between rounds.

“Every team has to go through that, so you can’t be worrying about how tired you are,” Weisner said. “You just wake up, go to practice, get treatment, then it’s game time. Eat, sleep, play basketball.”

While free time was a rarity, Weisner did get to experience a bit of the European culture. Before the tournament began, the Canadians spent a few days on the Canary Islands.

“Experience-wise, just going down the beaches and the Canary Islands, you walk around and girls are topless,” Weisner said. “We all thought it was really weird, but I guess it’s just a different culture down there.

“I had some good seafood. And in Lithuania, we got to see old, downtown Russia.”

Though it was an experience she’ll surely remember, Weisner is glad to be back in Corvallis.

“I’m ready to back with my team,” she said. “But I haven’t lifted for like a month, so I’m feeling a little soft.”

Grady Garrett, sports editor

On Twitter: @gradygarrett

sports@dailybarometer.com

More about

More about