Football introduces ‘Tweet-film Tuesday’ - The Daily Barometer: Sports

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Football introduces ‘Tweet-film Tuesday’

Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 8:41 pm | Updated: 9:38 pm, Mon Oct 21, 2013.

Recruiting through Twitter, defensive line play, Caleb Smith’s role highlights Monday’s football practice

Tweet-film Tuesday, Oregon State’s shiny recruiting tool, is less about finding players than it is about generating buzz for the football program.

The idea is that every Tuesday, Oregon State recruiters will take to social networking site Twitter to look at personalized highlight films of college football hopefuls around the country. Any high school player who tweets his highlight reel to Twitter along with the hash tag “GoBeavs” will be reviewed by OSU’s recruiting department.

The recruiting department will then choose 10 players to evaluate as potential Oregon State football players.

The rhetoric is that of all the high school football players in the country, a few are bound to slip by recruiters. Oregon State is letting that talent come to them rather than miss it completely.

However, assistant director of player personnel and a prominent spearhead of Tweet-film Tuesday, Ryan Gunderson, doesn’t anticipate that recruiting via social networks will overtake the more traditional forms of recruiting.

“I don’t know that we’ll get all that much in terms of players from it,” Gunderson said. “It’s more just buzz and awareness of our program and what we’re doing.”

Tweet-film Tuesday is still in its infancy and is headed into just its second week of existence.

“It might just be a flash in the pan,” Gunderson said. “I don’t know that everybody’s going to start doing it, and I don’t know that we’ll continue doing it (in the long term), but it’s good for the time being.”

While recruiting is something programs do throughout the year, this week’s focus for OSU is all on their next football game.

Monday was the Beavers’ first practice of the week as they head towards their biggest challenge of the season yet: No. 8 Stanford will come to Corvallis on Saturday.

The Beavers have won six consecutive games since a season-opening loss to Eastern Washington.

“I think that it’s because we’re playing with a little more confidence,” said defensive line coach Joe Seumalo, “Therefore the game becomes unconscious and the guys can just play.”

Junior defensive end Scott Crichton played particularly well last Saturday.

Seumalo reasoned that Crichton’s performance was the result of each aspect of the defense filling its specific role.

“Great coverage, great linebacker play,” he said. “It’s one of those things where if you can play collectively, then everyone finds a way to be successful.”

To compete with Stanford, all of Oregon State’s pieces have to fit together.

Offensively, Oregon State still needs to round their tight ends into form.

With junior tight end Connor Hamlett out from a recent knee surgery, sophomore Caleb Smith is starting in his place.

On Saturday, Smith made several mistakes.

During the game, Smith was called for two false start penalties and lost a fumble near the goal line.

“It was a little lack of focus,” said tight end coach Kyle DeVan. “He had a couple big plays that hurt the team. Obviously as a program we’re happy we got the win, but we’ve got to learn from that. There were things in there that were just mental.”

In the second half, Smith was benched at times in favor of sophomore Kellen Clute in an effort get his mind back in the game.

“I think he’s past that,” DeVan said. “Caleb and I had a good talk yesterday. He’s a young kid that’s maturing as we go. I’m not worried about Saturday, I think he’ll bounce back.”

Mitch Mahoney, sports reporter

On Twitter @MitchIsHere

sports@dailybarometer.com

More about

More about