Oregon State hosts Beaver Classic - The Daily Barometer: Sports

Monday, July 6, 2015

Oregon State hosts Beaver Classic

Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Cross-country will race Friday at Avery Park for the first meet in Corvallis this season

For the first and only time of the season, the Oregon State women’s cross-country team will have a meet close to home.

They will race in the Beaver Classic located in south town Corvallis.

Eight of the 10 athletes who will be competing in the Pac-12 Championships will not be competing Friday. The team will look to fill those last two spots after this weekend’s performances.

“For the girls who could potentially race at the Pac-12 Championships, this is a chance for them to test their fitness and compete,” said assistant coach Laura Harmon.

The team will have six athletes running for OSU and two unattached runners. Monica Anderson, Adrienne Demaree, Hayley Hunt, Lacey London, Chelsa McDonnell and Kelsi Schaer will be wearing the orange and black. Samantha Lewis and Morgan Anderson will be unattached.

“For a few of the girls, this is the first race of the season,” Harmon said.

They have been unable to race due to aches, pains, sicknesses and other circumstances.

Some of these women will have a chance to race at the Pac-12 Championships, depending on their performance Friday and the accumulation of their work throughout the year.

Oregon State finished fifth in this event last year behind Victoria, Portland, Portland State and a team from the Corvallis Running Project. Two performers from last year will be competing again this year, Samantha Lewis, who finished ninth, and Lacey London, who finished 20th.

Lewis’ and London’s performances last year were good enough to make OSU’s 10-woman travel team, elevating them to compete in the Pac-12 Championships and the NCAA West Regional.

Friday’s race will be a 6K event, where the women circle the 2K track at Avery Park three times to complete the race. The women’s race is set to begin at 4 p.m.

Next weekend, the Beavers travel to Louisville, Colo., to compete in the Pac-12 Championships.

Scott McReynolds, sports reporter

On Twitter @scottmcreynold4

sports@dailybarometer.com

More about

More about

More about