Oregon State gets second-straight win

Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 9:23 pm

Women’s soccer earned its second straight Pac-12 victory on Friday, knocking off Washington State, 1-0, in Pullman, Wash.

When the final whistle blew in Pullman, Wash., on Friday, the scoreboard read: Oregon State 1, Washington State 0.

For the second time in six days, the OSU women’s soccer team had won.

The win was big for the Beavers (4-9-2, 2-3-1) for several reasons:

• It gave them their first two-game winning streak of the season. It also gave them the program’s first two-game conference-winning streak since October 2011, when OSU beat WSU and Washington in Corvallis.

• It was their first road win of the season (they had been 0-6 away from home). It was also just the program’s second conference road win since 2011.

• It gave them seven points through six conference games, which moved them into a tie with WSU (9-3-3, 2-3-1) for eighth in the Pac-12 standings.

“It’s a big deal,” senior captain Jacy Drobney said in a phone interview from Pullman on Friday. “I feel like the Pac-12 is open for anything this year because of all the wins and losses. It feels good to get two in a row.”

“This game was really huge for us because going into the final couple weekends of Pac-12 play, it’s giving us confidence to keep going and attacking,” added senior midfielder Erin Uchacz.

Uchacz was the Beavers’ hero for the second game in a row. Last Sunday, she scored the only goal in OSU’s 1-0 win over ASU. On Friday, she netted another game-winner. This one came in the 17th minute.

“We had built it up down the left sideline,” Drobney said, describing the goal. “Laura (Rayfield) crossed it into Helene (Haavik), and Helene passed it to Natalie (Meiggs), and Natalie laid it off to Erin, who shot with her right foot from outside the 18 (yard box).”

“I was able to keep it low and on frame and it went in,” said Uchacz, who leads the team in points with eight (three goals, two assists).

The Cougars outshot the Beavers, 14-8, but OSU sophomore keeper Sammy Jo Prudhomme saved all four shots WSU put on goal. Prudhomme, whose shutout was her fourth of the season, has now gone 186 consecutive minutes without allowing a goal.

The win was particularly impressive considering OSU played without its two starting senior forwards, Jenna Richardson (concussion) and Brandi Dawson (knee). Meiggs, a sophomore, and Haavik, a freshman, started up top instead.

“Obviously we wish we would have had (Richardson and Dawson), but I think Natalie and Helene and the rest of the team stepped up to make up for them being gone,” Drobney said.

The Beavers couldn’t have picked a better time to get hot, because this upcoming weekend, they’ll welcome a pair of top-10 opponents to Corvallis.

OSU, which has five games remaining, will face No. 9 Cal at Paul Lorenz Field at 7 p.m. on Friday. That will be followed by a game against No. 10 Stanford on Sunday at 11 a.m.

Grady Garrett, sports reporter

On Twitter @gradygarrett

sports@dailybarometer.com

More about

More about

More about