Baseball snags nation’s 5th-best recruiting class - The Daily Barometer: Sports

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Brief Baseball snags nation’s 5th-best recruiting class

Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:30 pm | Updated: 8:34 pm, Tue Oct 22, 2013.

Tuesday, Baseball America announced its 2013 recruiting class rankings, pegging Oregon State’s class as the fifth best in the nation.

The No. 5 ranking marks the third time an Oregon State recruiting class has been ranked in the top 10, and is the sixth time since 2006 that the Beavers have finished with a class in the top 25. This year’s ranking is also the tops in the Pac-12 conference.

Three different freshmen from this year’s class chose to play at Oregon State instead of the MLB after being selected in this year’s draft.

Right-handers Jake Thompson (34th round, Chicago Cubs) and Chandler Eden (36th round, Miami) as well as infielder Trever Morrison (38th round, Boston) all chose to play at Oregon State instead of playing professional baseball.

Six of Oregon State’s incoming freshmen played in the 2012 Area Codes Game, a contest featuring the top high school baseball players in the nation.

The Beavers’ final fall scrimmage will take place at 2 p.m., on Saturday at Goss Stadium. Attendance is open and free to the public.

The Daily Barometer

On Twitter @barosports

sports@dailybarometer.com

More about