Former Beaver Jonnie Motomochi returns to men’s golf program as assistant coach - The Daily Barometer: Sports

Monday, July 6, 2015

Former Beaver Jonnie Motomochi returns to men’s golf program as assistant coach

Posted: Tuesday, July 2, 2013 10:06 pm

Former OSU golfer Jonnie Motomochi (2009-2012) is back in orange and black

Jonnie Motomochi, who competed for the Oregon State men’s golf team from 2009-12, will return to the program as an assistant coach, head coach Jon Reehoorn announced on Monday.

“This means a lot to me,” Motomochi said. “It feels kind of weird to be back as a coach, but I couldn’t be more excited. This is a great opportunity that Coach Reehoorn and Mark Spencer gave me. When Coach Reehoorn went through situations, I always put myself in his shoes to see what I would do. But I never really saw myself as a college coach. I wanted to start teaching and coaching golf, but there’s a lot more to college coaching than just coaching and teaching the individual players. But when the opportunity presented itself — I mean I love this school, I love helping out kids — it’s going to be a great time.”

“I’m excited to have Jonnie back,” Reehoorn said. “He bleeds black and orange, he loves Corvallis, he loves Oregon State. He’s going to bring a lot of energy to the team, which is really exciting. He knows what it means to be a Beaver, so that’s huge. The energy that he is going to bring, and the excitement he will bring to our program, is going to help continue to push us forward.”

A native of Delta, British Columbia, Motomochi played in 35 tournaments in his four-year career with the Beavers and finished with a scoring average of 74.00 in 105 rounds. His best score was a 6-under 65 as a junior at the Pacific Invitational to equal the fourth-lowest round in Oregon State history and his best finish was a tie for seventh at that same event. He shot 17 sub-par rounds and had one top-10 and seven top-20 finishes.

Motomochi was just as successful off the course as he was recognized as the Pac-12 men’s golf Scholar-Athlete of the Year in 2012 and was named to the Pac-12 All-Academic Second Team three times. He was also named a 2011 Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholar by the Golf Coaches Association of America and recognized as a 2011 Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholar.

He took part in the 2012 Beavers Without Borders trip to Ethiopia in the summer of 2012 and was honored as an Oregon State Everyday Champion on March 14, 2011.

Motomochi graduated from Oregon State in December 2012 with a degree in New Media Communications. Since graduation he has coached youth in his hometown, working with CPGA professional Kendal Yonemoto, and serving as a volunteer coach for the Beavers the second half of the spring season.

Motomochi replaces Tim Sundseth, who was the assistant coach for the past six years.

- Oregon State Athletic Communications