Tally app launches at OSU - The Daily Barometer: News

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Tally app launches at OSU

Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:29 pm | Updated: 9:32 pm, Tue Feb 11, 2014.

Social shopping mobile application hits campus, allows friends to help each other make decisions.

Tally, a mobile application that two recent Oregon State University graduates founded, launched an exclusive beta test to four OSU sororities last month.

After one month of the application’s test release, it partnered with a local shoe boutique and gained 200 users. 

Now, the Tally team is giving all OSU students exclusive access to the application before officially releasing it to the public in three weeks.

Tally allows users to send side-by-side images of clothing to their followers or in a private message to certain friends. Friends or followers can then vote and comment on what clothing article they like best — creating a poll. 

“We’ve seen great usage on Tally so far, and we think with some of the new features we are working on, it will generate even more interest,” said Andy Miller, co-founder of Tally. 

Miller said with new features in place, the current users will be able to invite their friends who are not yet part of the exclusive test. 

The Tally team hopes to eventually see viral growth as a result.

Originally, co-founders Miller and Ryan Connolly set out to create a biometric sensing company, which collected user heart rates and sweat levels while they played video games. However, after spending $10,000 on hardware they realized their findings couldn’t be used for anything useful.

In the midst of their failure, an idea emerged.

While living with his girlfriend, Connolly watched as she would get ready to go out for a night and solicit her girlfriends’ opinions on what to wear through massive group texts.

“I sat through this for two years and it dawned on me that there has got to be a better way to do this,” Connolly said. “There has got to be a more fun, simpler, easier way to get your friends’ feedback and opinions on any dilemmas or decisions you have.”

Tally was created.

“Tally is a simple way to collect your friends’ opinions,” Connolly said. “Let’s say you are out shopping and you have five really stylish friends and you want their opinion. You take two pictures, send them side-by-side or one on top of another, add a caption, send it out to your friends and then they can vote and have a discussion around what is in the two images.”

Kourtney Sundheim of the Chi Omega sorority likes having instant access to friends’ opinions.

“You get to have your friends help you decide on things like your outfit for the day or what to do with your free time,” Sundheim said.  “Anything you are having trouble deciding on, Tally is perfect for it.”

Now that Tally has been in use for one month, it has more than 6,500 votes, an average of 31 votes per poll and an average of 430 notifications a day.

The success of Tally’s beta test release gained the partnership of Miss Meer’s: A Shoe Boutique. Miss Meer’s sends out polls once a week to all the sorority women using the application. The users can then vote on their favorite pair and bring the app into the store for a 50 percent discount on the shoes that were in the poll.

“One of my goals with Tally is to inspire Oregon State students to not only see value in their ideas, but also to pursue them,” Miller said. “Grab a couple friends while you’re still in college, brainstorm some cool ideas and just jump into them and see where it takes you.”

Students can download the application at www.tallyfashion.com/download and register with the group code “tallyfriends.”

Courtney Gehring

Greek and clubs reporter

managing@dailybarometer.com