Recovery housing program to open in residence halls - The Daily Barometer: News

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Recovery housing program to open in residence halls

Posted: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:17 pm

The Collegiate Recovery Community program is working to expand its offerings for students in recovery from substance abuse or addiction. Following successes with the 24/7 Clubhouse located in McNary Hall, the program is now seeking to include housing within the residence halls for students in recovery.

“The recovery space is for students that have been in addiction to drugs or alcohol,” said Robert Reff, substance abuse prevention coordinator at Student Health Services. “They’ve gone through a process that could be treatment, it could be 12-Steps ... and they’ve maintained sobriety and they’re active in their recovery from addiction.”

While substance-free housing is already available, the new housing will be specifically for students involved with the program who have dealt with addiction and are, at a minimum, six months sober.

Students will be housed with roommates who are also participants in the program, however their rooms will be intermixed among residence halls and floors.

“One of the goals of the collegiate recovery community is for students to be supported in recovery but to have an otherwise normal college experience,” Reff said. “For all intents and purposes, they will appear like any other students living in a residence hall.”

Reff added that resident assistants and directors will know where participating students are housed, but it will be up to individuals whether or not they choose to reveal their status as being in recovery to other students.

Students who wish to participate in the recovery housing program will have to indicate their interests when filling out the University Housing and Dining Services housing applications.

The CRC emphasizes its role as supportive for students in recovery, but explicitly states on its website that it is not a treatment facility.

Resources for students who are just starting on the road to recovery and are seeking support in cessation of a substance can visit the SHS website under the Health Promotion section.

Kaitlyn Kohlenberg

Campus reporter

managing@dailybarometer.com