Record-breaking voter turnout highlights ASOSU election

Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2014 5:32 pm | Updated: 8:38 pm, Sun Apr 20, 2014.

Sarman/Williamson win presidential race, Boulanger takes speaker of the house in record-setting ASOSU election

The final votes have been cast and the results are in. Student participation prompted a record turnout of 3,389 votes in the Associated Students of Oregon State University election this week, which concluded Friday at 10 p.m.

Taylor Sarman and Bryan Williamson’s ticket won the presidential race, ultimately garnering 54.36 percent of the votes using the new instant runoff voting system. Running mates Anderson Duboise and Tyler Morrison came in second place with 45.09 percent of the overall votes, followed by the tickets of Brendan Sanders/Steven Nemer and Bret Barlow/Joseph Rossi, respectively.

The proposed constitutional amendment to create constituency groups within the House of Representatives passed with 90.11 percent voter approval. ASOSU constitutional amendments require a voter turnout of 15 percent of the student body, which was reached with nine votes to spare just minutes before voting officially closed.

Under the new amendment, student organizations and constituency groups will hold particular seats within the House and elect their chosen candidates to represent them directly. Several seats will remain unattached and available for open bids.

Saul Boulanger will serve as the next ASOSU Speaker of the House, having earned a flat total of 1,113 votes. The instant runoff voting system was only used to tally results for the presidential seats.

Although final tallies exist for the available seats in the ASOSU Congress and Student & Incidental Fees Committee, results are pending until all official candidate acceptances are received. The ASOSU elections committee will likely post a complete list of elected officials on their website early this week.

The following vacancies stand to be filled: six Senate seats; 20 House seats; two SIFC one-year seats; and two SIFC two-year seats. The ASOSU website contains a complete list of all ballot tallies and results. Timely updates on pending positions will be posted in the same location.

Tori Hittner
Higher education reporter