OSU College of Forestry hires new department head

Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 11:35 pm

Dr. Troy Hall will join the College of Forestry this summer as the department of forest ecosystems and society’s new department head.  

Hall is an internationally known conservation social scientist who holds degrees in anthropology, cultural anthropology and forest resources.  

“We did an international search, we had candidates from Australia — with a really strong set of finalists for the position,” said Thomas Maness, dean of the College of Forestry at Oregon State University. “We’re just absolutely delighted to get Troy Hall to come here and be a department head with us.”

Hall has taught a diverse set of courses, which includes communication theory, data analysis and interpretation, cross-disciplinary research and wilderness management.

In Hall’s career, she has supervised more than 30 graduate students and published more than 50 refereed journal articles on a wide variety of topics related to conservation and social science, according to Maness.

Hall has served as department head in the department of conservation social sciences and has also served as the director of graduate studies for the College of Natural Resources at the University of Idaho.

Hall is a member of U.S. Forest Service National Wilderness Teams and has a long-lasting record of research, education and service related to wilderness issues — much of it in Oregon.  

With a strong background in conservation, Hall is committed to finding solutions for working together with communities and ecosystems, according to Maness.

“I think that’s going to bring a really fresh approach to our college,” Maness said.

Dacotah-Victoria Splichalova

Science reporter

Online poll