OSU club seeks to spread eating disorder awareness - The Daily Barometer: News

Saturday, April 25, 2015

OSU club seeks to spread eating disorder awareness

Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:54 pm

Nutrition and dietetics club hosts concert to educate students on the risks associated with eating disorders.

One in four college-aged women struggle with an eating disorder.

Whether they shun from food or binge and purge, the problem exists and is far more prevalent than many assume.

The Oregon State University nutrition and dietetics club strives to raise awareness of eating disorders and improve body image among students on campus. 

According to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, 25 percent of college-aged women engage in bingeing and purging as a way to maintain their weight. The mortality rate associated with anorexia nervosa is 12 times higher than the death rate associated with all causes of death for females between the ages of 15 and 24.

“If we can raise awareness of eating disorders and remove the stigma that surrounds talking about them, we can increase the chances that people will receive treatment and prevent their eating disorder from becoming deadly,” said Stephanie Moore, an officer with the nutrition and dietetics club.

Moore and her committee from the club have a concrete understanding of the high prevalence of eating disorders among college-aged students and the emotional consequences that stem from an eating disorder.

During the past week, members of the club tabled in the Memorial Union quad and hosted a concert in honor of National Eating Disorder Awareness week. The club is driven toward promoting the importance of fueling and nourishing the body — something that students with eating disorders often overlook.

“The passion behind spreading awareness of eating disorders originally came from my own struggle and recovery from an eating disorder,” Moore said. “But also because there wasn’t enough being done on campus to raise awareness of eating disorders.”

The concert was free and featured the band, Tuesday Nights, last year’s Battle of the Bands winner. 

Information on eating disorders and pizza was provided for those who attended. 

A paper mache life-size replica of Barbie was among those present at the concert. Members of the club, along with students, stood next to the Barbie to demonstrate her unrealistic proportions in comparison to the average American female.

“I have first-hand experience of how detrimental an eating disorder can be and it is my goal to help prevent my peers from suffering from the same consequences I faced,” Moore said.

Courtney Gehring

Greek and clubs reporter

managing@dailybarometer.com