MU, EdAct budgets approved despite concerns, confusion

Posted: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:48 pm

The Student & Incidental Fees Committee tentatively approved the Memorial Union and Educational Activities proposed budgets Wednesday night, costing students $79.57 and 46 cents, respectively, per term.

The majority of expenses derived from mandatory payroll increases and program costs, particularly in the case of the MU. The MU budget covers a variety of student organizations and resources, including facilities and services, student leadership and involvement and, most recently, student media.

New budget requests from the MU include added positions for custodial and clerical support. These changes will require no hike in student fees. 

The only decision package for Student Media was a 7 percent increase to add digital production of Prism Magazine.

The EdAct budget saw a decrease in funds requested in order to spend less working capital.

“This is a big year in the assessment and evaluation of EdAct,” Macy said. 

The budgets now wait to be officially approved by the SIFC next week at the Thursday open hearing, after which they will be presented before the ASOSU congress and university President Ed Ray.

Tori Hittner

Student government reporter

managing@dailybarometer.com