Fundraiser to support local families fighting hunger - The Daily Barometer: News

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Fundraiser to support local families fighting hunger

Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:26 pm

More than 6 percent of Oregon households spend their days in hunger, regularly forced to forgo meals from lack of money, according to the Linn Benton Food Share.

Oregon State University students have the opportunity to help alleviate some of those hunger pangs Saturday by participating in the eighth annual Empty Bowls Benefit Event. Lasting from 6 to 8 p.m. in the OSU Valley Football Center, the fundraiser supports families and individuals who cannot regularly count on adequate meals.

For a small donation, participants share a meal of soup, bread and dessert while enjoying live entertainment and a silent auction. Attendees eat out of locally, hand-crafted ceramic bowls to symbolize the food insecurity, or regular inability to find food that many individuals across the world cope with.

Sponsored by the OSU anthropology program and athletics, the event is part of a larger national project, which began in 1990. Now in its eighth year, the OSU event allows students to “experience the practical application of anthropological tools, methods and theories to issues affecting humankind.” 

Past years have seen more than 200 attendees and $3,000 in donations. This year, all proceeds will go to benefit the OSU Emergency Food Pantry and World of Good, a small non-profit organization based in Junction City. 

World of Good provides children around the globe with meals and close mentorships, while the OSU Emergency Food Pantry aids low-income university students in the Corvallis area. 

Attendees are asked to consider a donation of between $5 and $20, while children younger than 5 years old get in for free. The first 150 participants will be able to take a handmade bowl home.

Pre-sale tickets are available for sale and pick-up through the anthropology department in Waldo Hall 238. Tickets will also be sold at the door of the event.

managing@dailybarometer.com