Final 4 candidates for vice provost position selected - The Daily Barometer: News

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Final 4 candidates for vice provost position selected

Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 11:16 pm

Four candidates remain in the search for the new vice provost of student affairs, a position that acts as a liaison between students and higher administration.

Among other duties, the new vice provost of student affairs will help establish and implement Phase III of the university’s Strategic Plan for the 21st Century. The position also entails enhancing the diversity of the Oregon State University community and working with outside organizations to promote the welfare of students.

The new hire will replace the current vice provost, Larry Roper, who is stepping down at the end of June. The candidates are Susie Brubaker-Cole, Salvador Mena, Brent Paterson and Ed Whipple.

Brubaker-Cole has experience with the Oregon State community, currently serving as the associate provost for academic success and engagement. A graduate of Yale University and the University of Washington, Brubaker-Cole has also served as Stanford University’s associate vice president for undergraduate education.

Mena, a graduate of the University of Maine and the University of Maryland, has worked in higher education for 18 years at more than seven institutions. He currently serves as the deputy to the vice president for student affairs at the College of Staten Island of the City University of New York.

Currently the senior associate vice president for student affairs at Illinois State University, Paterson holds more than 35 years of experience working with college students. Paterson earned degrees from Lambuth College, the University of Memphis and the University of Denver before beginning his career at Texas A&M University on the student affairs staff.

Whipple, although currently a senior consultant with higher education consulting firm Keeling and Associates, previously served as a vice president for student affairs at Bowling Green State University and Montana State University-Billings. Whipple earned degrees from Willamette University, Northwestern University and Oregon State University.

All aforementioned resume information was taken from the Oregon State University division of student affairs website.

managing@dailybarometer.com