Campus urged to walk carefully - The Daily Barometer: News

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Campus urged to walk carefully

Posted: Sunday, February 9, 2014 8:38 pm

Despite the lingering snow from the 20 inches that fell Thursday and Friday, Oregon State University will be fully operational Monday. 

OSU’s campus closed Thursday and Friday due to the adverse weather conditions. 

With dangerous conditions lingering from the storm, travel conditions are more treacherous. Students are encouraged to walk instead of drive to campus. 

Steve Clark, vice president for university relations and marketing, said he and the provost’s office expect that professors and instructors will accommodate those who cannot safely make it to campus Monday.

Dixon Recreation Center and the Valley Library both opened in a limited capacity, while the Memorial Union was closed since Thursday.

Throughout the weekend, trees and tree branches fell on campus. Facilities Services tagged the fallen debris Saturday and have been working to remove them Sunday and Monday, according to Mike Bamberger, emergency preparedness manager at OSU. 

Snow on Thursday and Friday fell too quickly for university employees to keep paths clear. Now that the extreme conditions have subsided, Facilities Services have been working to clear paths. Bamberger said full crews should be on campus Monday.

There is also a dense fog advisory from the National Weather Service, which went into effect Sunday night and will remain in effect until 9 a.m. Monday. Visibility is reported to be less than 1/4 mile.

Students, faculty and staff on campus are encouraged to be mindful of the conditions on campus. Though university employees are working to clear pathways and remove fallen trees, it will take time.

managing@dailybarometer.com