ASOSU VP passes on torch of election committee leadership - The Daily Barometer: News

Friday, February 27, 2015

ASOSU VP passes on torch of election committee leadership

Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Assistant to the advocate takes on role of election committee chair.

The Associated Students of Oregon State University election committee has slightly untraditional leadership this year. The current assistant to the advocate is leading the committee instead of the vice president.

ASOSU vice president Victoria Redman passed on leadership of the committee to assistant to the advocate Jacob Vandever earlier this year due to potential conflicts of interest.

“Obviously, if you’re in that position (as committee chair), you can’t be part of the election,” Redman said. “Since I’m a junior and Jacob is a senior and has been involved in ASOSU for four years, I fully trusted his ability to take on those responsibilities. I wanted to leave the option open for myself to run if I decided to.”

Redman said running for the presidency was a possibility, but has not made any official statement as to her decision to campaign or not. Instead, she is focusing on her current term and duties.

“We are in the middle of budget season and we just got done with the leadership conference,” Redman said. “Right now, it’s just not in my capacity to plan for that. My position is very busy right now; sitting on SIFC is normally something the president does and I’m doing that this year.”

Brett Deedon, the ASOSU president, allocated the SIFC duties to Redman so that he may focus on the particulars of ASOSU’s internal budget.

Vandever has big ideas planned for the rest of the year as committee chair.

“We’ve booked the MU steps and we are going to try to have the ASOSU debate on the MU steps,” Vandever said. “We’ll have it outside and get the speaker system set up out there so that way people on the quad can come around. We’re trying to make a big deal out of it.”

In addition to the debate, Vandever and his committee plan on instituting a reform to the voting system. Under the proposed alternative vote system, students will only vote once and rank candidates on their ballot. 

If there is no majority winner, students who voted first for the candidate who received the least amount of votes overall will then have their second choice factored in. The process continues until a candidate receives a majority of the votes.

“The elections committee has the decision to change all the election rules within itself, so I think that’s the route we are going to take,” Vandever said. “I would still like to get Congress to pass it, but the problem is that in order to get that system in place, we have to get the central web folks working on it now.”

The bill was proposed in the ASOSU Congress last term but has progressed slowly. 

Vandever hopes the new system will increase overall student turnout and interest in the election.

Tori Hittner

Student government reporter

managing@dailybarometer.com