Retired OSU exec. dies - The Daily Barometer: News

Friday, July 31, 2015

Retired OSU exec. dies

Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Mark McCambridge dies at 62 from cancer, co-workers fondly remember his 20 years at OSU

Mark McCambridge, former vice president for finance and administration at Oregon State University, died Thursday morning in his home from “a long and courageous battle with cancer,” according to an email from OSU President Ray and Provost Sabah Randhawa.

McCambridge retired in July 2013 after 20 years at OSU. He was 62 with two children. 

McCambridge, who was born in Seattle and graduated from Santa Clara University, joined OSU in 1994 as director of business services. Before being named VP of finance and administration in 2001, he held several positions at OSU. 

In 2013, McCambridge received the Honorary Alumni Award and the Distinguished Service Award, one of OSU’s highest honors.

He was well-liked and respected by colleagues and friends.

“We lost a remarkable individual,” said Kavinda Arthenayake, director of University Conference Services in the LaSells Stewart Center.

Arthenayake knew McCambridge for more than 10 years. When they worked together, McCambridge was Arthenayake’s direct supervisor. 

McCambridge’s impact went beyond just the workplace. 

Arthenayake said McCambridge made an effort to know everyone as an individual and would reach out to people’s families. 

McCambridge developed a bond with Arthenayake’s 14-year-old daughter, Lauren, who met McCambridge when she was 6 years old.

When Lauren discovered McCambridge had cancer, she started baking him cookies. One birthday, she baked McCambridge’s cake.

“This is how (McCambridge) touched the lives of other individuals,” Arthenayake said.

Arthenayake spoke fondly of McCambridge, describing him as a mentor and the “most considerate individual he has ever met.”

Arthenayake said McCambridge built meaningful relationships and went beyond to help those around him succeed.

Ray and McCambridge built a close friendship, and Ray said he helped shape several aspects of the university.

“Mark McCambridge was a very special friend of mine,” Ray said in a press release. “And he was a great friend of many, many people at Oregon State University, within higher education in Oregon and throughout the Corvallis community. He will be sorely missed and fondly remembered.”

McCambridge also helped the university achieve fourth place in the nation for use of renewable energy. 

Brandon Trelstad, sustainability coordinator, worked with McCambridge on making the university a greener campus. Trelstad said McCambridge played a particular role in helping OSU achieve its recognizable status as a leader in sustainability.

Megan Campbell

Managing and news editor

managing@dailybarometer.com

1 comment:

• Torsten Pihl posted at 8:13 am on Fri, Jan 17, 2014.

Torsten Pihl Posts: 0

Mr. McCambridge was affectionately known to me by prounouncing his username "mcambrm". He went out of his way to help me, and during a dark and lonely time many years ago, I got to spend some time with him and his family in their lovely home. Condolences to the McCambridge family and those that knew this great man.

Online poll

How would you try to remedy parking problems on campus? Pick your top solution.

OSU Transportation Services recently made minor modifications to the parking system on campus, but is largely keeping the existing permit system in place.

Total Votes: 172

Loading…