Unsettled debt could stall OSU-Cascades expansion

Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:53 pm

$5.26 million owed to COCC could halt OSU-Cascades expansion plans if not settled.

Plans to continue with expansions to Oregon State University’s Cascade Campus will likely experience a slowdown.

The 56-acre project started in September 2013 after OSU purchased 10 additional acres from Cascade Property Holdings, LLC. The next proposed phase was a 46-acre terrain evaluation and removal of a pumice mine.

However, an unpaid debt owed to Central Oregon Community College could halt current OSU-Cascades campus expansion plans until further notice, according to reports from The Bend Bulletin. OSU currently owes COCC $5.26 million on the Cascades Hall it currently rents.

Steve Clark, vice president of university relations and marketing, said OSU will seek $3.9 million from state funds to assist with the overall Cascades expansion project during an upcoming legislative session in February. The college also wants an additional $10 million for on-campus accessibility improvements.

Christine Coffin, director of communications and outreach at OSU-Cascades, said the branch remains optimistic about the upcoming expansion, which will allow graduate students from Cascades Hall to transfer to the new site.

“There will be some stumbling blocks along the way,” Coffin said.

The state cannot grant OSU-Cascades the additional $3.9 million if the debts owed to COCC are not retired, according to the Bulletin. 

COCC is currently attempting to acquire a matching bond of $3.63 million and an additional $1.63 million in lottery funds from the state to settle the amounts owed.

Sean Bassinger

Higher education reporter

Online poll